Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thank you Bogota for welcoming me with open arms!

Bye Bye San Francisco!
I left San Francisco yesterday at six in the morning and landed in Bogota at 7:15 pm, local time. During my first flight from San Francisco to San Salvador, El Salvador, I met Francisco, a 50 year old father and buyer of electrical equipment who lives in Bogota with his daughter, two sons, and wife. He did not speak any English which gave me the opportunity to practice my Spanish. Francisco was very kind but not overbearing. This made the six hour flight very enjoyable (to me, there is nothing worse than someone that won't get the hint and stop talking even after you put your headphones on and/or bury yourself in a book). He shared with me various tips for traveling, some local knowledge of restaurants and music, and gave me a better feel for the area I will be living.

San Salvador
I must say, South American airlines - or any non-US airlines for that matter - are doing something right. My first flight was on Taca and the second was on Avianca*. During my first flight, the flight attendants took pride in their appearance and you could tell their profession was a respected one; food was served and it was actually edible; every seat was equipped with its own entertainment console with movies, TV programs, games, and a map tracking our flight progression; and the seats were very comfortable. My experience on both airlines was drastically different than the numerous domestic flights I take monthly. It was similar to Virgin Air, minus the mood lighting and flight attendants that act edgier than you (I'll take that over the SW ones that sing, any day).

Upon my arrival, I was interrogated by customs for 10 minutes. I was told I needed a Visa even after explaining that I was a volunteer. I blame language barriers and the fact that the custom guard seemed to be suffering from some sort of inflated authority syndrome. After consulting with his manager, the customs guard let me through and I found Francisco, who politely told me that I was waiting at the wrong baggage claim. From there, I experienced another enjoyable cultural difference: upon leaving baggage claim, there were about 200 people waiting for their family/friends' arrivals. They held signs, sang, and were jovial. Could you imagine if that were the custom in US? Not to mention, almost every passenger was well-dressed and did not have on pajamas. Travelling in this culture is a luxury and reminded me of my childhood when travelers would wear their best clothes to fly, only to be greeted by friends and family (thanks Furr for keeping at least the latter part of that childhood memory alive).

Apartment Living Room
Finding my driver in the sea of people was a little like Where's Waldo? but after locating him, I found comfort knowing I was one step closer to being settled into the apartment I will be living in for the next five weeks. My driver waited outside even after I told him I was all set. I was greeted by the front desk clerk who grabbed my bags, checked me in, gave me 5 water bottles, ordered me take-out, and even followed the delivery man to my door to be sure I didn't overpay in pesos (one peso buys you approximately $0.000636. My pizza cost 25,000 pesos!). The people of this country are extremely friendly and do not give off the impression that they are expecting something in return. It is not a tourist driven city where you feel like you are out of place and on the verge of being chiseled out of money. It is metropolitan, diverse city and people are not rushed. Despite appearing a bit out of place and confused, genuine friendliness is the overwhelming impression I've received from the people of Bogota. I am also surprised that I have yet to meet anyone that speaks any English  For this I am actually quite grateful; I look forward to the challenge and have already caught myself thinking in Spanish.

Kitchen
I woke up this morning after sleeping for 10+ hours. It was the first time in months that I did not set an alarm.  It was a bit odd leaving a city where I have to be somewhere for various commitments (those that know me best know that I tend to over-commit) on little sleep, to waking up sans alarm, in a new city, feeling rested, where I have no stress and plenty of time to do whatever my little heart desires (nothing)....I literally woke up smiling and dancing around my apartment. Upon opening the blinds, I realized that I have a large balcony with views I have never seen. The city is built at such a high altitude that a forest full of gigantic trees juxtapose the gigantic city full of modern and antique buildings.

View of Bedroom
I was able to talk to my sister, Leigh, on Skype, who was sitting with her kids, fully decked out in Steelers attire (today is a bad day to be an Eagles fan). Nic, my youngest nephew, asked me, "Can you come to my house?", and it was a bit challenging explaining to him where I was. SO cute. I decided to take the day to lounge and get settled in. I feel prepared for my first day tomorrow at the Opportunity International office. I know it will be an experience I will never forget. It already has been. I feel so very blessed to work for a company that values volunteerism, and have managers that support my growth by enabling me five weeks to make a difference in this world.


I will try to update this blog frequently to keep you all informed of my whereabouts but also to serve as documentation of this amazing experience.

Hasta pronto!

Sarita

*Travel Tip: Taca and Avianca were much cheaper than United and American, all of which fly to Bogota often. For anyone taking Avianca airline out of SFO, keep in mind there was no Avianca desk for check in. However, my itinerary was with Avianca? I went to the Taca desk which was able to check me in. I drew the conclusion that they are either partners or my itinerary was trying to mess with me.

1 comment: